Saturday, July 20, 2013

Taking my foot off the brake

College Girl began as less than two pages -- just a little bit of a character study while I was feeling frustrated and less than motivated to work on another series that I published under another name. So, I started College Girl around November of last year. Then I put it aside, thinking I might get back to it -- eventually -- and maybe turn it into a little novella just for fun.

Then it just bit me. The story was all I could think about -- and I just wanted to keep writing ... and writing. I think the reason was that I had finally taken my foot off the brake, metaphorically speaking. I didn't sit there and wonder, "Will this offend someone? Should I tone it down?" I wrote the book I wanted to read.

Yeah, the main character curses -- a lot. It would be a different fucken book if she didn't, right? ;-) So, in the end, the story took on a life of its own -- and I followed it. Nope, I didn't outline it. It just went where it wanted to go.

I can tell you one thing, though. If I hadn't eased up on the brake and let things fly, then College Girl wouldn't exist. Because some things work out best when you let go and just see what happens.

This book was me letting go. And I just started another one, but more on that later ...

S.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment